Thursday, November 11, 2010

I have passion for ______________.

You know what's difficult? Writing. Yes, it may seem that I am writing right now, but not exactly. I'm talking about setting down my plans for the future, describing my passion and what I want to do with it. That kind of writing is difficult. The one thing standing in my way of filling out my application is me writing my letter of intent. I've started it but trying to decide what to focus on is difficult. 

I enjoy journalism, visual design, multimedia, magazines, news, teaching, mentoring, learning. I feel like when you decide to go to graduate school they want you to focus on one or two subjects. I've never been like that, hence the double major and minor in undergrad. Trying to focus my broad passion for journalism makes me want to scream. I want to be able to create my own area of expertise. Nowadays journalist are better off if they know how to write, design, take photos and edit.

Maybe that's what I need to focus on. Journalism should be more of a changing genre; the news is always changing. I don't see why I can't be an expert at everything :) Sure it's a lot of work, but I get bored if I focus on one thing for too long. I need to be expanding and learning. And if there's anything I've learned since being out of school, it's that our focuses change and what we thought we were going to do for the rest of our life isn't what we want to do anymore.

A few people may be lucky enough to know exactly what they want to do and go with it. I've always known I liked journalism, but the exact way I want to work in journalism has changed and so has the world of journalism. I'm sure I will attend grad school and hone my ideas even more. Until then, I have given myself the deadline of Nov. 15 to finish writing and send in my application. Wish me luck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment