Wednesday, October 13, 2010

GRE here I come!!

In addition to moving to Austin in the next few weeks, I am also, finally, finishing my application and taking the GRE for grad school. Friday, Oct. 22 at 12:30 p.m. I will be taking the test that determines my future (well, not totally but right now it feels like that). One good thing about not having a steady job is the time I have had to study. I bought the study books (Princeton Review, Cracking the GRE and the ETS study book) back in April and tried to study around my two jobs, but I never gave it enough time. Since last week I have studied every day during the week (I have to give my brain the weekends off). It has been invigorating and difficult.

I have always been strong in English, so the book has given me good test strategy tips. It also makes me realize how I need to continue to expand my vocabulary; perhaps I need one of those word-a-day calendars. Reading has always been fun for me, and I can feel my brain getting excited about the learning. The verbal part I am ready for.

Now, Math, on the other hand, makes me feel like I'm going back to middle school. The only math I took in college was basic statistics and, nowadays, I pull out my phone calculator anytime I need to do basic math. I think it took me the majority of last week to get my brain reacquainted with numbers. Luckily, one day it did, so I'm feeling a little bit better. Though today and tomorrow I begin relearning Geometry. Wish me luck.

Since I made the date I am on deadline, which is a familiar situation. This is when I work my best and when my endorphins kick in; I'm counting on it. So even though the problems may seem enigmatic and my understanding ephemeral, I am intransigent on doing my best. And I am sure my work will be redoubtable.     

No comments:

Post a Comment